Friday, June 10, 2011

Emery's Arrival

     Well its been 2 and a half weeks, but I'm finally getting to blogging about Emery's arrival. I was due May 16, but the Emery did NOT want to leave her nice warm home inside my belly and at my doctors appointment on the 18th I had still not dilated at all, so the doc decided I was probably going to have to be induced. I was hoping he would tell me I could head right on over to the hospital after my appointment but he wanted to give my body a few more days to try to get things going on its own, so the date was set for me to go to the hospital on Sunday, May 22 at 7pm. I think that it might have been the slowest 4 days of my life. Saturday night was seriously like Christmas Eve. I knew I should get as much sleep as I could because it would probably be the last time I got a good nights rest, but I just couldn't sleep. I was too excited!
    
     The time FINALLY came and we headed up to the hospital, I had read the Dr's instructions for the L&D nurses and knew that the first part of the induction was going to be quite lengthy and so I was not very pleased when we got there and it took over an hour to get things set up to even give me the initial dosage of the first type of medicine. Then every 3 hours they would give me another dose for 3 doses. Well I figured that would be OK because then I could get a couple hours of sleep in between each dose. How wrong I was. The bed in L&D is the most uncomfortable thing ever, and it seemed that when I would finally get to sleep some monitor would start beeping and wake me up. I think the worst part of the night was when they came to give me my second dose and the resident checked my progress (I was barely dilated to a 1 when I got there) and she told the nurse I was at a 4, then she said, "Actually let me check again, nope she's a 1+." I had gotten so excited that the medicine was working that fast and I was already to a 4 and then she says I really haven't made any progress in the last 3 hours... that has got to be the cruelest thing that anyone could do to a woman that is a week overdue. 
     
      At about 7:30am, and almost to a 2, they started the pitocin, which I was hoping and praying would work faster than the stuff that they had given me during the night. Around 8 my doctor came to check on me and break my water at which point I was already at a 3, wahoo! At this point they also said that I could have my epidural any time I wanted it. Well, I wasnt in pain or anything so I said, "I'm ok right now, I'll let you know when I need it." Silly me. The contractions started and they weren't extremely painful so I was just breathing through them wondering how painful I should let them get. At about 9:30 I decided I needed my epidural, well what they forgot to mention when they told me I could have it at anytime was that once I requested it it takes about half an hour for the anesthesiologist to get up to my room. At about 10:15 he got to my room and was pretty much my favorite person in the world. He was really nice and funny but mostly because he relieved me of my pain. My advice for anyone having a baby; when they say "You can have the epidural anytime you want" say "I want it right NOW." There is absolutely no reason to even tough it out at all when it can be completely painless. Once the anesthesiologist left I took a nap, it was wonderful. 
     
      At 11:45 the RN and nurse came in to check me again and I was at a 6, then my doc came to see how everything was going and because I was at a 6 and dilating about 1cm an hour he headed back to his office. The next 15 mins the nurse and RN were in and out adjusting my monitors because they couldn't get a good reading for the baby's heart rate, they thought maybe the baby was in a little bit of stress so they started putting some fluid back in me. Right after they did that I started feeling some pain again and they called the anesthesiologist back up to check on me. I told him I was feeling the contractions again on my left side and that I was feeling a lot of pressure, he upped my next drip and then left and told the nurse I was feeling a lot of pressure and she might want to check me again. When she came back in the room it was 12:15 and Brock was still taking his nap after me getting my epidural and I had her wake him up to hold my hand until the next drip set in and I couldn't feel the contractions anymore. He woke up and got over to me right as the nurse was done checking me, she then started messing with the bed. Brock asked what she was doing and she said that I was ready. 
       Well since a half hour earlier I was only at a 6 the Dr. had gone back to his office and the resident had gone to a meeting. The nurse got the bed ready and had me start pushing at about 12:20. Brock didn't want me to start pushing because the Dr. wasn't there and there wouldn't be anyone to "catch the baby." The nurse let us know that it would take quite a bit of pushing, especially since it was my first baby, and that we shouldn't be worried about that. Well after pushing through 2 or 3 contractions the nurse informed us that she could see the baby's head. After another 2 contractions my Dr. got there and into his gown and took over. After another 2 contractions Brock said "Her heads out" and I said "All the way?" I had not been pushing nearly long enough for her head to already be out. But the Dr. informed me that it was indeed all the way out to which I replied "Isn't that supposed to be the hard part?" he said yes and told me not to push anymore until he had suctioned her out since there was meconium in my water. He then had me push gently through my next contraction and at 12:39 my sweet little Emery was born. 

      Right after they took her over to check everything out with her my phone rang, it was my mom calling to check my progress, since the last time we had talked to anyone I was at about a 5 and going to take a nap. We told her Emery was here, and she asked when and Brock told her literally like a min. and a half ago. Then he hung up called his mom real quick, grabbed the camera and went to observe the nurses and our baby. She was healthy as can be and latched on the first time I tried to feed her without much help. Her temp was a little low when the nursery nurse checked her and she told me they could either take her to the nursery and put her under the heat lamp until her temp went up or I could hold her skin to skin to let her temp go up. Would I rather cuddle my new baby or have the nurse take her away from me... hmmm... that was a tough decision! So after I cuddled her a while our families came in and held her and loved her. 

    They transferred us to a postpartum room and Brock and I had some time alone with her for a while. Later that night we walked down to the nursery to watch Emery get her first bath. Right before she got her bath she spit-up so bad, it was more projectile vomit than baby normal spit-up, and it came out her nose too, poor Emery was choking on it. That was the first of many large spit-ups. We were going to have her spend the night in our room, but we were too nervous that she would spit up again and we wouldn't hear it and wouldn't be able to clear her mouth and nose out fast enough so when we were getting ready to go to bed for the night Brock took her down to the nursery. About an hour later however, he went back down to the nursery and got her because he didn't like having her so far away. He loves her so much! Everything went well that night and when they checked her out the next morning she still looked perfect so we were able to take her home that afternoon. 

    Well this post is extremely long and it is late, so I will have to write more about our little love later. Overall it was an extremely easy, quick labor and Emery is such a good baby. I truly am one blessed mama!

(For some reason it wont let me upload pictures, I'll figure out whats going on with that tomorrow and post some)

No comments:

Post a Comment